Graphic Design Intern – Portland
The SMART reading program is the state’s largest volunteer-based literacy nonprofit organization. We partner with schools around the state and engage community volunteers to read one-on-one with PreK through third-grade children, helping strengthen literacy skills and encourage a love of reading. Participating children also receive new books each month to keep and read with their families. In our 25 years of service, we have served more than 188,000 children and given away over 2.4 million books. Our vision is an Oregon in which every child can read and is empowered to succeed.
This internship is an opportunity to gain hands-on experience with graphic design in a nonprofit environment. The intern will work at SMART’s main office with the Communications Director and gain practical experience in the day-to-day activities of a dynamic nonprofit organization. This internship may count for college credit as the university or college allows.
- Design collateral materials for both print and digital platforms for a variety of activities, including events, brand/logo development, training and promotional materials, etc.
- Work closely with Communications Director on development of all materials. Take direction on assignments and work collaboratively to develop, edit and refine materials.
- Work remotely with staff members in SMART areas throughout Oregon.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
The ideal candidate will have:
- Knowledge of the design and production processes, strong communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated design proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (CS6).
- Strong writing and proof-reading skills.
- Willing to receive a background check, sign confidentiality agreement and available to receive required training.
2016-17 school year, or a portion thereof
Email these items to Jessica Bowersox, Communications Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter
- Relevant work samples if applicable