SMART’s executive director, Chris Otis, joined the organization in December 2010. In that time, she has effectively led SMART through a strategic planning process that has resulted in impressive program growth. SMART ended its most recent program year serving more than 8,500 students, well exceeding the organization’s goal of 7,700 children and marking a steady upward trend in service numbers.
Chris has a rich background of more than 20 years in nonprofit leadership, most recently having served as executive director for the Children’s Relief Nursery, a child abuse prevention program serving high-risk children and families in Portland. Prior to her five-year tenure at the Children’s Relief Nursery, she served as the executive director for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation—Oregon Chapter; the Oregon Alliance of Senior and Health Services; and the California Association of School Psychologists; and served as the deputy executive director for the California Chiropractic Association.
Chris is an adjunct faculty member of the University of Portland, where she was recruited to design and teach a course on nonprofit management for MBA students at the University’s School of Business. She received both her MBA and her Bachelor’s degrees from California State University in Sacramento.
Statewide Board of Directors
As a volunteer-driven organization, volunteers are critical to our success and are the very heart of SMART. Our dedicated volunteer leadership is committed to helping SMART achieve the vision of an Oregon where every child can read and is empowered to succeed.Our 18-member Board is comprised of individuals from across Oregon who assist SMART through leadership, financial support and advocacy.
- Chair: Behzad Hosseini, PGE, Portland
- Vice Chair: Mary Wilcox, Northwest Wellness Solutions, LLC, Portland
- Secretary: Mary Boyle, Portland
- Treasurer: Tom O’Keefe, Shop Igniter, Portland
- Greg Chaillé, Oregon Community Foundation, Portland
- Michele Daterman, Portland
- Vernon Fuller, Genesis Financial Solutions, Beaverton
- Joey Harrington, Portland
- Bob Hunter, Editor, Mail Tribune, Medford
- Elizabeth Large, Knowledge Universe, Portland
- Kent Lewis, President, Anvil Media, Inc., Portland
- Margaret (Peggy) Maguire,Cambia Health Solutions, Portland
- Casey McDermott*, Portland Opera, Portland
- Patricia C. Smullin, California Oregon Broadcasting, Inc., Medford
- Janae Sorenson, Premera Blue Cross, Portland
- Andy Vobora, Lane Transit District, Eugene
- Charles Wilhoite, Willamette Management Associates, Portland
- DJ Wilson, KGW, Portland
- Steve Wynne, ODS, Portland
- Gerry Brodsky, Salem
- Tom Costabile, Old Tappan, NJ
- Ruth Ann Dodson, Portland
- Bill Early, Portland
- Neil Goldschmidt, Portland
- Joe Gonyea II, Springfield
- Katie Hertig, Warrenton
- Sue Hollern, Bend
- Irving J. Levin, Beaverton
- John Morgan, Portland
- Charles H. Rouse, Richland
- Steve Stadum, Portland
- Von Summers, Portland
- Bill Thorndike, Jr., Medford
- Dan Wieden, Portland
- Linda Wright, Portland
SMART Leadership Chapters are groups of individuals in local communities across the state who help raise friends and funds for SMART in their local area.