Making Reading Safe!
The safety of SMART children and volunteers is always our highest priority.
As a volunteer with SMART, volunteers are required to adhere to the following safety policies:
- Do not take children outside or away from school.
- Volunteers are prohibited from outside contact with SMART children and their families. The only exception is when the volunteer has a previously established relationship with the child’s parent or guardian.
- Always be in view of other adults. For the safety of yourself as well as the child, never be in a situation where you are alone with a child.
- Sign in and wear a SMART name tag.
- Respect the physical boundaries of children, allowing contact to be initiated by the child.
- Do not allow a child to sit on your lap or other inappropriate contact.
- SMART provides each child with books and asks that you refrain from giving gifts to the children. The best gift Readers can give children is time, energy, and commitment.
- If a child shares personal information that is concerning, immediately report it to the Site Coordinator. The Site Coordinator will notify appropriate school personnel who will be responsible for any additional action. This information should remain confidential.
- SMART prohibits discrimination based on race, ethnicity, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, language, class, national origin, age, immigration status, and family structure, as well as any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law. To report discrimination, contact SMART’s Main Office.
- If you have any concerns about the actions or behaviors of other volunteers, immediately notify your Site Coordinator or local SMART office.
- Be sure to let your Site Coordinator know if you have questions or concerns, and they’ll address the situation appropriately.