The Reader’s Role
Our volunteers often tell us that they get more from their experience than they give. Still, volunteering is an important commitment. In support of SMART’s mission, volunteers are required to:
- Show up consistently, once per week for the whole school year. This is essential, because children will miss out on SMART in your absence.
- Have fun! Rather than teaching or tutoring, your role as a Reader is to provide a special time in a child’s day for them to simply have fun with books and reading.
- Help children pick out books to read with you and to take home to keep.
- Log the day’s session using a simple required form.
- Create a safe and positive experience for children of diverse backgrounds, cultures, and circumstances.
- Maintain open and regular communication with the Site Coordinator, reporting any concerns immediately.
- Adhere to safety and other policies and procedures for SMART and for your site placement.
If you can commit to sharing one hour of your week, and you’re willing to follow these simple policies, we’d love for you to join us!