Executive Assistant/Office Manager – Portland
SMART (Start Making A Reader Today) is the state’s largest volunteer-based nonprofit literacy organization. SMART partners with schools around the state and engages community volunteers to read one-on-one with nearly 11,000 PreK through third-grade children annually, helping strengthen literacy skills and encourage a love of reading. Participating children also receive new books each month to keep in order to begin building their own personal libraries. In the past 25 years, we have served nearly 200,000 children with the support of more than 130,000 volunteers, and have given away over 2.4 million books.
When you join SMART, you join a team that shares your resolve to make this important work happen. The Executive Assistant provides full administrative support to the Executive Director and provides general administrative support to the Management Team. The position is the primary support person to the Board of Directors and plays a key role in coordinating communication and meetings with these individuals and this group. This position also helps with specific activities related to development and works to ensure the overall smooth functioning of the Portland office.
OUR COMMITMENT TO EQUITY
As an early literacy program focused on helping children succeed with reading and learning, we can’t ignore that deep racial, cultural, social, and economic inequities in our country and state make it more difficult for some children to have the resources necessary to succeed. Our vision is an Oregon in which every child can read and is empowered to succeed, and equity is a top priority for our organization. Consequently, we especially encourage staff members, volunteers, and board members whose personal or professional background gives them unique perspective to further advance our work in serving children of color and children from other marginalized groups.
- Serve as logistical liaison to the Board of Directors and Executive Committee: schedule meetings, prepare and distribute agenda and meeting materials, take minutes, complete meeting follow-up, maintain good working relationships with board members and their support staff
- Manage Executive Director’s calendar: schedule meetings, prepare support materials, assist with follow-up
- Coordinate staff travel arrangements and itineraries for Executive Director and members of the management team
- Support Human Resources with administrative functions of hiring process
- Manage logistics of All Staff meetings: booking hotels, catering, etc.
- Provide support for management and development teams as needed
- Front desk reception: phone, mail, general email
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Exceptional interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills. Excellent customer service skills and a positive, customer-oriented attitude.
- Detail-oriented and enjoy organizing others.
- Cultivate and sustain professional, effective relationships with a wide variety of constituencies including: staff, volunteers, current and potential donors, board members, foundations, and community partners.
- Ability to manage and prioritize several tasks concurrently, meet deadlines
- Ability to take initiative and anticipate organizational needs, work independently, with limited supervision, as well as function successfully as a team player.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite and Adobe Acrobat. Raiser’s Edge experience a plus.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required
- Four years’ experience in office administration preferred
Please apply online here: smart.hiringthing.com/job/49997/executive-assistant-office-manager
Applications received through other sites will not be considered.
Applications are accepted until the position is filled, although applications received by August 25 will receive priority.
OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU:
We promise to provide a team of staff reviewers who will personally review your submission. Your interest and application will be treated with respect. People of color, people living with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.