Program Assistant (Temporary) – Portland
SMART (Start Making A Reader Today) is the state’s largest volunteer-based nonprofit literacy organization. SMART partners with schools around the state and engages community volunteers to read one-on-one with nearly 11,000 PreK through 3rd grade children annually, helping strengthen literacy skills and encourage a love of reading. Participating children also receive new books each month to keep in order to begin building their own personal library.
When you join SMART, you join a team that shares your commitment to making this important work happen. Your position as a Temporary Program Assistant will be a primary point of contact for new volunteer applicants across the state during SMART’s busiest recruitment season. This role will provide welcome and orientation calls to new volunteer readers, update volunteer records in the database and provide other administrative program support as needed to our 10 areas across the state.
Here’s what we can offer:
- A team of equally-committed, passionate and experienced individuals.
- A temporary, non-exempt position (40 hours per week) with an hourly rate of $14.
- An employment assignment from July 22 to November 15.
- An organizational culture that is supportive, values team, plays to the strengths of its members, and is tirelessly devoted to serving “our kids” well.
Your team members have developed the following “must have” requirements:
- Personal character, which guides the ethical practice of your work.
- Ability to be collaborative and work with a team
- Comfortable making and receiving phone calls up to approximately 6 hours per day
- Strong customer service skills (in-person and over-the-phone) and ability to be professional and warm with volunteers from diverse backgrounds
- Proficient computer skills to include Microsoft office products and database experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects and duties
Bonus skills (preferred but not required):
- A sense of service and commitment to helping the children of Oregon learn to read
- Commitment to equity and experience/background in working with communities of color
- Prior or current SMART volunteer
- Bi-lingual/Spanish speaking
As an early literacy program focused on helping children succeed with reading and learning, SMART can’t ignore that deep racial, cultural, social and economic inequities in our country and state make it harder for some children to succeed compared to others. Our vision is an Oregon in which every child can read and is empowered to succeed, and we are making equity a top priority. As part of this, we particularly seek staff members, volunteers, and board members whose personal or professional background gives them unique perspective to further SMART’s work in serving children of color and children from other marginalized groups.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to frequently use a computer at a desk. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required for the position.
To apply for this position please visit the following link:
To read the complete job description please click here.
Please provide a resume with a brief cover letter that tells us how you meet our needs, what your experience and commitment is to equity and whether you have bonus skills outlined above.
People of color, people living with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled but will begin the first review of all applications received in June.