SMART Book Donations
SMART provides each child in our program with up to 14 new books each year to take home and keep. Thanks to longstanding relationships with leading publishers, SMART purchases books at a considerable discount. As it’s most cost-effective for SMART to purchase books, we strongly encourage financial donations rather than book donations.
Donate a Book Pack
In addition to 28 weeks of one-on-one literacy support, SMART students receive two new books each month to take home and keep. Sometimes these are the only books in the child’s home. We purchase these take home books at 90% below retail, thanks to a longstanding partnership with a leading publisher. As it’s most cost effective for SMART to purchase books, we encourage financial rather than book donations. Just $40 helps SMART buy new books for one child who needs reading support. Donate a book pack now.
SMART Book Challenge
Each year in March, SMART volunteers across Oregon are invited to participate in a friendly competition. Their task? To see who can get the most books into kids’ hands! Funds raised help purchase books for our next program year. The 2017 Book Challenge ran from March 4 through April 15. Click here to learn more about the SMART Book Challenge.
Guidelines for Book Donations
Books in the program must follow a specific set of guidelines:
- All purchased and donated books are approved by and property of SMART.
- Every SMART site has a giveaway collection of new books purchased by or donated to SMART.
- The permanent collection is comprised primarily of donated, hardbound books. These books provide reading pairs with a selection of high quality books that SMART is unable to purchase through its vendors.
- Books are chosen for the program based on their appeal and ability to draw students into the illustrations, story and meaning.
*Site Coordinators and/or SMART staff have the right to refuse any book that:
- Is damaged and worn
- Does not meet the needs of a PreK-3 child’s developmental level both in listening and reading language
- Includes holiday, religious and/or issue-oriented themes