SMART Book Award
Launched in 2000 to further inspire excitement around books and reading, the SMART Book Award is an annual activity in which SMART students across Oregon vote for their favorite children’s books. Nominees for the SMART Book Award are selected each year by SMART staff and volunteers. In February, thousands of SMART students can be found busily reading the nominated books and casting their votes using secret ballots. The results of this unique, child-selected book awards program are revealed annually in April.
2018 SMART Book Award Winner Announced!
The votes are in and we’re excited to announce that Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin is the winner of the 2018 SMART Book Award contest. More than 4,600 SMART students across Oregon voted for their favorite book among five nominated titles, and with more than 1,500 votes, Dragons Love Tacos was the clear favorite.
For more information on the SMART Book Award, please send an email to SMART@getsmartoregon.org.
SMART Book Award Winners
- 2018 – Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin
- 2017 – Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes by Eric Litwin
- 2016 – Who Would Win: Komodo Dragon vs. King Cobra by Jerry Pallotta (Standard) and National Geographic Readers: Safari by Gail Tuchman (PreK)
- 2015 – Don’t Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late by Mo Willems
- 2014 – Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes by Eric Litwin
- 2013 – Grumpy Cat by Britta Teckentrup
- 2012 – Hi! Fly Guy by Tedd Arnold
- 2011 – Snowmen at Night by Caralyn Buehner
- 2010 – How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague
- 2009 – Skippyjon Jones by Judith Byron Schachner
- 2008 – Bark George by Jules Feiffer
- 2007 – Silly Sally by Audrey Wood
- 2006 – Stanley’s Party written by Linda Bailey, illustrated by Bill Slavin
- 2005 – Dog Breath by Dav Pilkey
- 2004 – George Shrinks by William Joyce
- 2003 – A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon
- 2002 – Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type written by Doreen Cronin, illustrated by Betsy Lewin
- 2001 – If You Give a Mouse a Cookie written by Laura Numeroff, illustrated by Felicia Bond
- 2000 – The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Don and Audrey Wood